At Fluid Tech Hydraulics, we supply and support hydraulic equipment and supplies for a wide range of industrial applications. One of our core offerings is the sale and servicing of hydraulic hammers. Fluid-Tech has been working on hydraulic hammers for over 30 years and have the experience and equipment to properly recondition yours.
What Is a Hydraulic Hammer?
A hydraulic hammer, also known as a hydraulic breaker, is an attachment designed to be mounted onto equipment (e.g., backhoes, excavators, skid steers and stationary plants). It utilizes hydraulic pressure and flow to power the movement of a connected tool, which is used to break up objects (e.g., rocks or concrete) into smaller, more manageable pieces.
There are numerous types of hydraulic hammers available, which vary in design and size to suit different needs. This broad selection makes this type of machine a highly versatile tool; it finds use in many applications, such as construction, demolition, landscaping, mining, road building, and tunneling.
Advantages of Hydraulic Hammers
- Better versatility. Hydraulic hammers come in numerous variations, all of which can work off the same power source. This quality makes it easier for contractors to choose one that suits their projects.
- Lower investment costs. Hydraulic hammers are designed and built with durability in mind, making them a cost-effective investment. Additionally, the oil and grease used for hydraulic hammer maintenance keep the internal components lubricated, reducing the amount of upkeep needed over time to keep them up and running.
- Broader performance capabilities. Hydraulic hammers are suitable for use year-round as they can be utilized in hot or cold conditions. Additionally, if properly set up, they can be used underwater.
The Importance of Hydraulic Hammer Repair and Maintenance
Hydraulic hammers are highly effective at breaking up large objects into smaller pieces. However, given their function, it is important to be careful when using them. Otherwise, it can result in user injury or equipment damage.
Some tips to keep in mind before, during, and after hydraulic hammer operations are:
- Grease the tool before you use the hammer and while you are using the hammer
- Ensure the hammer is properly positioned to the work (90-degree angle) before you start the operation
- Stop the hammer and reposition it if needed.
- Never run the hammer for more than 15-20 seconds in one place.
- The tool may be sharpened if needed.
Hydraulic hammers play a critical role in a variety of industrial applications. Ensuring they provide the desired performance necessitates both choosing the right type for the project and investing in proper maintenance. The latter is essential to making sure the machine works as intended throughout its service life. Without routine maintenance, it is more susceptible to breaking down during use, which can lead to altered project timelines and, consequently, loss of profits. In addition to repairing damaged, worn or broken components, maintenance inspections can reveal if and when a unit should be restored or upgraded to meet new industry standards. It is extremely important to set the carrier pressure and flow to the manufacturer’s specs. If not, you will not get 100% from the breaker and risk damaging it or your machine.
Partner With Fluid Tech Hydraulics for Your Hydraulic Hammer Needs
Whether you need to purchase a new hydraulic hammer or repair an existing one, the experts at Fluid Tech Hydraulics have got you covered! We service all brands of breakers including, but not limited to, Atlas Copco, Indeco, NPK, Krupp, Tramac, Epiroc, Furukawa (Kent), Stanley, LaBounty, Bobcat, Okada, Teledyne, Caterpillar, and Soosan.
Our sales department is ready and willing to help you find a hydraulic hammer that meets your needs. We have a stock of Allied/Rammer/Sandvik hammers in a variety of sizes and a rotating supply of reconditioned hammers. Additionally, if needed, our fabrication department can design and build custom brackets and pins to attach the unit to your machine.
To learn more about our hydraulic hammer products and services, contact us today.